Hey Daisy kiddoossss!
So, let’s cut to the chase, I was initially going to post this story on my Instagram…but there was simply too much to tell! So for ease of convenience, I decided to post it on my blog 😼.
On the 20th January I had placed an order with Tarte cosmetics where I purchased 2 Shape Tape concealers! I just could not justify paying R640 each from a reseller 🤦🏻♀️, so I waited till Tarte had FREE international shipping so that I could purchase two for R320 each. Altogether my order amounted to R740 and I had anticipated paying around R270 for customs fees.
I processed the payment and payed with a credit card and shortly after received an email from Tarte saying that they had received my order.
For the next month, every second day, I would check the TRACKING INFORMATION provided for me on my Tarte account:
- 22nd-26th January- Package in transit in the origin country.
- The next two and a half weeks, silence…
- 15th February: Package had arrived in South Africa 🇿🇦, was held at customs from 12:57AM till 09:43PM! Considering the horror stories, I was pretty relieved at that 😰! In fact, I squealed with excitement when I received the notification 🤣.
- 26th February- Failed delivery attempt. This had left me confused, so I waited for the second delivery attempt.
- 9th March- That morning I had contacted DHL and was advised to request a local tracking number from Tarte, as no other tracking information had been logged since the 26th.I emailed the company and they responded, saying that they’re going to issue me a refund. For the second time, I had requested just the tracking number, and received a response saying that they believe my package 📦 is lost in transit and that a refund will be issued; I accepted.
- 12th March: Received an SMS from the post office notifying me that my parcel had arrived 😐, I was provided with a reference number and the amount due for customs; R327 (not too bad)
***Here is a document that I was made to sign that provides a breakdown on how the customs was calculated:
HERES THE FUNNY PART, the refund had already reflected by then 😐! So I contacted the company after picking up the parcel, and inquired if it was possible for me to pay them again since my package had arrived. They responded by saying that it was not possible and I should enjoy my products…
I was SHOOK, I had only paid R327 (technically) for TWO Shape Tape concealers! Stroke of luck perhaps? 😂
It was pretty insane guys.
If I had purchased it from a local reseller it would have amounted to:
R640 x 2 = R1280
R1280 + R45/R50/R95(Shipping)= R1325/R1330/R1375!!!
For two concealers? HELL NOOOO
Purchasing it directly from Tarte Cosmetics (when they offered FREE international shipping amounted to:
R320 x 2 = R740
R750 + R327 (customs) = R1067!!!
That’s definitely more reasonable in my opinion.
I do understand, however, that I had not paid for these items but I had every intention on doing so before and even after they had arrived.
I purchased the shades MEDIUM for hilightingand TAN SAND to match my skin tone, for those of you who are interested:
For shade reference I am:
Estée Lauder Double wear – Henna
So yeah guys! That’s been my first ever international shopping experience, it’s important to keep in mind that not all experiences are good, not all experiences are bad, and some are outright INSANE! Tariffs are different depending on the item you purchase, with the tariffs for clothing being really high! I was advised to retrieve information on tariffs from the SARS website and our Government website (sub topic being Import Customs).
Are any of you considering taking your shopping addiction international 🌍👀? If you so, or if you already had, I’d love to hear your stories!
For easier access to reading my posts, you can subscribe to my blog via email! Join the Daisy family guys 🌼💖!
Thank you all for all the love and supporrrtttttt!!!!
Until the nextone…BYEE ❤